Friday, March 2, 2012

Oh Loathsome Sunrise

As a younger man I worked drilling rigs. They taught what I could do myself and taught me how little can't there is in the world with some creativity and a team. They paid for my university, a truck, my first trip to Asia and eventually film school but the most obvious thing rigs gave me was the sunrise. Two weeks on one week off.  Every morning, one week out three as the twelve hour shift wound down I would find my way to a railing a platform to watch the sun break over the trees or fields or mountains. Every one was amazing, a sign of an end to a long slow night or a hard dirty shift but it was always beautiful and never unwelcome. On this trip I have seen way more sunrises then any unemployed nearly thirty person should and every one has been hard. Every one was the end to a night of memories, a sign of friends moving on and one step closer to that long flight out of Neverland. It's upsetting to me that time and relative age has the power to taint and twist the meaning of something as simple as a sun doing what has always done and will do long past times we care to think about. I do not feel a old as lost and constantly wandering as I am but I do pay respect to time, change and reality.  It is time to go to bed old man.   

No comments:

Post a Comment