Thursday, January 5, 2012

Reflections from day five

Thailand is a very safe place to travel but... on our second night the Dirt Squirrels were drinking in a street bar against the wall of a monastery. Things were going fine I was talking politics with a Canadian working for the UN and two travelers from the UK, Damian was learning Cambodian from a guy named Wat and Tyler was passed out in the bartender lady's lap on a bench. The party grew and Tyler came back to life. Maybe it was the buckets of whiskey and Red bull or maybe it was just poor moral character but I suddenly decided that I was more interested in Finnish girls then Dirt Squirrels so I left the Damian and Tyler on at the street bar.

The next day I went for a shower at the crack of of 4 pm. The caretaker of the Central guest house told me that the police had called and one of my friends had been drugged and robbed. I automatically assumed Damian. Walking out the door the phone rang again and was passed to me. It was Tyler from the police station. Walking to catch a tuk tuk to the cop shop I just happened to see Damian in an alley talking to a guy selling bus tours.

"Damian" I yelled.

"Oh, hi Tuftin" He replied slowly.

"Have you been to bed yet?" Damian shook his head no. "Are you ok?" He shook his head yes. "Ok whatever, Tyler was drugged and robbed by a lady boy last night and we have to go get him from the tourist police station.

"I think that might have happened to me too, I can't find my debit card."

"Get in the tuk tuk Damian, one fucking crisis at a time."

Driving to police station Damian pointed out the stairs of a monument in the middle of a roundabout that he had slept on during some of the seven hours that he was lost in Bangkok.

Tyler was fine though a little shooken up. He lost a passport, watch, visa and all his cash money after accepting a free beer and coming to no longer on Khoa San road.

I had the boys get on the internet and find numbers and addresses for embassies and
banks. While I went and got them food and drinks. They slept for about fourteen hours and we spent a whole day cabing around Bangkok getting passport photos, police reports and international calling cards.

Tyler's new passport is on the way and we are heading to northern Thailand by night train tomorrow. Damian can't get cash advances off of his Visa despite multiple calls to his bank so he has now become the group's indentured slave. We don't think he was actually robbed.

Everyone is okay and excited to get the fuck out of Bangkok.

1 comment: